- 1. Blocking of individual ads
- 2. Banning of an account for suspicious activity
- 3. Blocking for violating Facebook's advertising rules
- 4. Other reasons why an account gets banned
- 5. Removing the blocking of the advertising account
One day it turns out that your Facebook advertising account is blocked. Of course, this is often a complete surprise for its owner, because now targeting advertising is the most popular type of promotion of goods and services in social networks. If it is stopped, you will not be able to run ads from the account. In order not to be deprived of profit for a long time, advertisers should know in advance the possible reasons for blocking accounts.
In general, the types of blocking can be divided into two large groups:
- Automatic blocking is carried out by a robot if the actions in the account seemed suspicious to him. Since tens of thousands of ads are published in Facebook per day, it is the system, which operates according to an algorithm developed by specialists, that checks most of them.
- Manual – it is carried out by technical support staff, detecting violations or receiving complaints about ads. As a rule, the system sends ads to a person for moderation only when the situation may be considered controversial.
There are several ways to find out if the Ads Manager Facebook account is blocked:
- you will see a line in the cabinet with a message about it;
- you’ll get a push-notification on your smartphone from the Facebook application;
- an email notification.
1. Blocking individual ads
It’s worth saying that Facebook rarely blocks the cabinet completely. As a rule, specific ads get banned – and if they are quickly edited according to the rules, it will be quickly removed.
Fig. 1 – Alert from Business Manager for a specific ad
In this case, the system writes “Cannot start promotion” and refers to a clause stating that the ad does not comply with Facebook policy.
If it is most likely a system error, it is worth going to the Account Quality section and requesting rechecking – then you will be redirected to this tab.
Fig. 2 – Recheck
There you can see which advertising account you have problems with and what rules your ad has violated.
However, it also happens that even a second check does not open the way to the ad.
Fig. 3 – Advertising display refusal after second check
In addition to the system error, there are only two global reasons for blocking:
- warning blocking due to suspicious activity;
- blocking for violation of Facebook’s advertising rules.
2. Banning an account for its suspicious activity
What is a blocking for a user’s suspicious account activity? For example, the one related to payments. Factors that may alert the system may include:
- paying with someone else’s bank card or one that is on the Black-list;
- the name of the owner of the Facebook account and the card do not match;
- the payment came from a card issued in another country;
- a virtual card was used;
- changes in the payment method. The most suspicious is considered to be a switch from card to PayPal.
3. Blocking for breaking Facebook advertising rules
What are the possible situations that can be counted as violations of Facebook’s advertising rules:
- Logging into Ads Manager from other countries or cities (different IP address). You need to use VPN carefully.
- Prolonged account inactivity or, on the contrary, constantly changing social accounts in the same browser.
- Adding users to the account who have already been involved in running ads that violate the rules. Administrators with a bad reputation will ruin it and your advertising account.
- Violations related to the landing page: its thematic inconsistency with the ad or redirect the user from your site to another.
- Ads that were left in the cabinet as unmoderated they are checked again, and a lot of rejected ads previously arouses suspicion.
- Use of illegal scripts on the page: pop-ups, autoplay video or sound, pop-ups that cover part of the screen.
- Copyright violation and other complaints from users about your ads.
It’s worth mentioning separately new accounts that have been created recently but are already being actively used by advertisers. What may be considered suspicious in this case:
- Running an ad on a “fresh” account. Facebook considers the hasty launch of ads to be fake, which means it’s worth it to make your personal page attractive at first and be a regular user – add friends, give likes to publications. Weeks 2-3 can begin to run campaigns.
- Create a large number of groups of ads at once. One or two campaigns with a couple of groups of ads at first will be enough.
- Dramatic increase in costs. At the beginning it is worthwhile to test the coverage of the audience, and then gradually raise the budget. The balance is better not to raise a single large payment. And even after some time, it is better to increase the budget by no more than 20%.
4. Other reasons why the account goes to the ban
Among the obvious reasons why Facebook sends an account to ban, let’s note these:
- Explicitly banned content: weapons, illegal products, tobacco drugs and explosives, weapons, products of the intimate industry, fraudulent financial schemes, products that violate copyrights.
- Specifics of legislation in different countries. Controversial and shock content, an attempt to play on the weaknesses in order to make a profit.
- Emphasis in the ad on gender, age, religion, race, orientation of the target audience. Discussions that violate ethical standards.
- Poor quality content: illiterate, unstructured text, images in poor resolution.
- The presence of elements that encourage users to follow the link: arrows, buttons, appeals, annoying videos. A link in a post that redirects to a JPG or PDF document.
- Forms that collect email address, phone number, name without warning or special need.
5. Taking down ad account blocking
Different contact forms are appropriate for different reasons for blocking an account.
If it has been blocked due to suspicious activity – it is worth filling out the form offered by Facebook:
Fig. 4 – Requesting account verification due to suspicious activity
If the ad violates Facebook policy or has been complained about by users, it is best to use this form to appeal against being blocked:
Fig. 5 – Requesting verification of an ad account with restrictions
For any other reason, it is worth writing to the chat room, but the method is not available to all advertisers.
There is also a Help Center for businesses, where you can find a section to solve problems with disabled accounts.
Fig. 6 – Problem solving with disabled account
We have reviewed various forms for contacting support in the article “How to contact Facebook Technical Support”. To make your communication with our support team as productive as possible, find the link with your ad account ID number in the address bar of your browser.
How can you increase Facebook’s trust in your advertising account?
- Use Facebook Tools to check if your domain is on Facebook’s blacklist. To do this, go to the tool, insert your website address, and click on “Debug”.
Fig. 7 – Facebook Tools
It will check right away if the domain is not in a ban. If it’s banned, you’ll see an announcement “We can’t perform verification on this site because its content doesn’t meet our community standards. If you think this is a mistake, please let us know.”
3. Don’t use old, from banned accounts, or someone else’s creatives. Facebook’s artificial intelligence will immediately recognize the deception.
Thus, how to maintain an account to avoid getting blocked:
- any advertising account should first be settled, gain an audience and only then launch the campaign;
- in the first place, it is important to decide on a convenient way to pay and not to change it, to use only your own bank card;
- increase the budget gradually and smoothly, if necessary, use a cabinet from other regions, VPN, and generally do not trust it to outsiders;
- make ads according to the rules and requirements. Timely delete posts that have not passed moderation. Do not use clickbait, redirects and scripts.
If you follow the rules and standards, your Ads Manager Facebook account is safe. Any misunderstandings of an accidental nature are always resolved by contacting technical support, and a thoughtful attitude to your own advertising will be the key to successful promotion.