Everyone who promotes their website sooner or later faces the question: which promotion channel from the relevant ones in 2021 to focus on. Consider the features of each and show you how to make a decision in this or that case. The correct selection of marketing tools for a specific niche will determine the maximum possible promotion efficiency.
PPC is a pay-per-click contextual advertising model. PPC advertising is the customization of ads that appear in search results. And the “pay per click” model itself assumes payment per click on the ad, i.e. for clicking on the link to it.
Today it is almost the most popular promotion method, and the reason for this is very fast results both in getting traffic and in the growth of purchases of goods / orders of services.
Advantages of the promotion channel:
- prompt publication of ads – the next day after approval by the moderators, transitions to the site will be available;
- the opportunity to get to the top of the search results, i.e. paid advertising in any case will be shown in the first places;
- coverage of a wide user audience;
- targeting, i.e. the ability to customize an advertising campaign for a specific target audience;
- the option to add an image to the ad, which potentially increases its click-through rate;
- the ability to change the ad, if necessary;
- evaluating the effectiveness of advertising using analytics.
Disadvantages of a pay-per-click ad campaign:
- it is expensive and costs must be tracked. You will need a constant allocation of funds from the budget, otherwise the ads will stop showing;
- limited duration of the method – due to the cost of the service, advertising will bring traffic only until the money runs out;
- the complexity of setting up a campaign – mistakes will inevitably affect its effectiveness;
- the ads can also be seen by competitors, which means that the chance of borrowing good “chips” and enticing customers is quite high.
SEO is a set of measures for search engine optimization, which stands for “search engine optimization”. This promotion channel should be used from the very first day of launching an Internet resource. It represents a range of different works that combine changes in the structure of a web resource, its technical characteristics and the content itself. The goal is to increase the position of the site in the search results as a result of user queries (usually the first 10 Google links are clicked most often).
SEO methods can be categorized into “white”, “gray” and “black” according to the classification accepted by experts.
White methods are those approved by search engines: internal and external optimization – elimination of technical errors of the site, study of usability and commercial factors, increase of the natural link profile. They also include filling the resource with quality content relevant to user queries.
To “gray” – those methods that are not prohibited by search engines. For example, buying links on resources that do not have a bad reputation, increasing the number of keywords in texts to the threshold of spamming. They can speed up the desired result a little, but they should not be overused.
“Black” methods are prohibited by search engines and will cause the imposition of sanctions, so we do not recommend using hidden links or texts, replacing content when it reaches top positions, etc., so that the promoted site is not blocked.
Benefits of SEO promotion:
- increase in attendance by the target audience, which is interested in your offers of goods or services;
- the presence of organic traffic is free in itself, although you will have to pay to get into the TOP-10 – but the amount of traffic depends more on the literacy of actions than on the budget;
- the return on investment is higher than from other methods;
- visibility in organic SERPs is profitable for the future – even if the advertising budget runs out, the SEO rankings will not automatically decrease, and the traffic will not change instantly.
As for the disadvantages, perhaps there is only one – the presence of competition presupposes the struggle for high traffic and, accordingly, constant work is needed: a long-term analysis of the situation, constant actions to optimize and build up the link mass, the creation of high-quality content. In addition to the complexity and specifics of immersion in activities, you will also need to spend a lot of time.
SMM is a channel that is developing faster than others today. Its goal is to increase website traffic and increase conversions by recruiting subscribers. Social media is performing well in high-demand niches.
Frequent publications in the feed, accounting for user search queries, the presence of beautiful photos – this is a guarantee of the effectiveness of advertising. Among the most common methods of promotion on social networks are advertising in groups, targeting and working with influencers (bloggers).
Benefits of SMM promotion:
- availability of feedback from the target audience;
- the work of “word of mouth”, when new products or services instantly gain a lot of reposts.
Disadvantages of using it:
- works only in conjunction with other promotion methods;
- requires constant updating of information, quick response to comments and questions from subscribers;
- the effect will have to wait from six months or more.
4. Formula for successful promotion
As we can see, when considering promotion channels, their advantages and disadvantages often complement each other. This means that for high efficiency of website promotion, it is better to use them in a complex manner.
This is how the term “search engine marketing” appeared, abbreviated SEM, which means “search engine promotion”. In fact, it can be put into the SEO + PPC formula, in that order. The combination of promotion methods gives a good result, but it is more logical to start with long-term and less costly financial SEO, eliminate the flaws in the structure and content of the site, and only then connect PPC to it, which gives a quick result, but requires a prepared site and financial investments.
How to profitably use both methods of website promotion:
- Configure the relationship between Google Ads, Google Search Console and Google.Analytics services. This will provide information about search queries, site visits and bounces. So you can analyze the keys and understand which of them are needed in the semantic core, and which should be discarded.
- Keys from Google Ads can be used in regular searches.
- If you have doubts about the chosen keywords, then before using them in SEO, you can test using PPC – as we remember, search engine optimization is long-term, and contextual advertising gives a quick and visual result.
- Using DSA, a dedicated tool in Google Ads, is suitable for large ad campaigns.
By complementing this promotion strategy by connecting an SMM channel – posts on social networks, attracting subscribers to groups and setting up advertising impressions in them, you can count on successful promotion.
In addition, you can connect the rest, auxiliary types of advertising: E-mail marketing, positioning on external resources, etc.
Thus, we see that the formula for successful website promotion looks like this:
SEM + SMM + Other types of advertising = Website promotion
It makes no sense to dwell on only one promotion channel for a long time if the goal is to reach the TOP. However, a lot depends on the niche and on the specifics of a particular brand, so it is always important to take into account the factors in the complex: fast indexing of pages by search engines using SEO and prompt user acquisition using PPC is like a well-coordinated work with both hands, right and left. And the use of additional tools improves and makes this work even more efficient.